Expert Medical Opinion: When you need peace of mind
It’s important to note that Expert Medical Opinion doesn’t play the role of a treating doctor and doesn’t replace your existing treating doctor. The aim of an expert opinion is to help you better understand your condition, providing you with simple and convenient access to extra information and answers to any questions you have about your diagnosis and treatment.
‘The Expert Medical Opinion report was very professional, thorough, easy to follow and understand,’ says Thomas, who asked for a second opinion. ‘I have never received a report that included so much information. It addressed all my thoughts, questions and concerns. It has made me feel more comfortable and trusting of my urologist and given me peace of mind.’
How do I access Expert Medical Opinion?
Expert Medical Opinion is part of MetLife 360Health. Members of Spirit Super can access the service at no additional cost and to get started, it’s as easy as:
- Visit MetLife 360Health
- Fill in the Request a Callback form at the bottom of the page, select Expert Medical Opinion, and you’ll receive a call from an accredited professional.
What happens next?
After you request the Expert Medical Opinion service:
- Connect with a clinician – A qualified clinician in Australia will guide you through the process, including talking with you about your medical history and listening to your concerns about your diagnosis and possible treatments.
- Record collection – Your dedicated clinician will record your questions so they can be answered by a specialist and collect information about your case such as medical records, related images and pathology results. They will re-analyse the information to make an initial assessment and may also organise for pathology to be retested. They will then connect with a relevant medical expert.
- Expert review – A global expert in your specific condition will conduct a detailed review of your case and write an expert report outlining their findings on diagnosis and treatment options that you can ask your doctor to consider. They will provide answers to any questions you may have.
- Discuss the findings with your clinician – Your dedicated clinician will review the expert report and call you to discuss the findings. The clinician can answer any questions you might have about the findings and, if necessary, go back to the specialist to clarify any aspects. Your clinician will encourage you to share the report with any treating doctors you are seeing so they can review and, if appropriate, adjust your treatment plan. The aim of this service is to offer an opinion that supports your treating doctors – not replace them.
Lily also received an expert opinion. ‘It has been a really comforting process to go through,’ she says. ‘My treating doctor is completely in line with the specialist who provided my report, which means moving forward I now have the peace of mind in my treatment pathway.’
We're giving you this information in good faith. It comes from sources we think are reliable and helpful. However, we can't guarantee its accuracy and accept no liability for content provided by external websites.
The information about MetLife life insurance is general only and does not take into account your personal situation, financial situation, needs or objectives. Before deciding whether to acquire, or continuing to hold, any of our products, please read the PDS and TMD available at metlife.com.au. MetLife Protect is issued by MetLife Insurance Limited (ABN 75 004 274 882, AFSL 238096) (MetLife). MetLife Protect Super is issued by Equity Trustees Superannuation Limited (ABN 50 055 641 757, AFSL 229757). The information provided is general information only and is not health or medical advice. If you have a health or medical concern, please seek professional medical advice immediately. You should always consult a licensed health care professional for the diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition and before starting or changing your health regime, including seeking advice regarding what drugs, diet, exercise routines, physical activities or procedures are appropriate for your particular condition and circumstances.
360Health services are not provided by way of insurance (including health insurance) and the provision of these services is not dependent on the occurrence of an insured event under the policy. 360Health Virtual Care is a service provided by Teladoc Health. Teladoc Health is a separate and independent entity to MetLife, and MetLife will not be responsible for the nature or quality of services provided by Teladoc Health. Access to these services will be at MetLife’s reasonable discretion and is eligible for all MetLife Protect customers and eligible clients who have received a specific code to activate the service. MetLife reserves the right to reasonably discontinue or change the services at any time. For the Virtual Care app terms and conditions please visit www.360healthvirtualcare.com
Spirit Super has no involvement in the provision of the above services by Teladoc Health and is not responsible for the nature or quality of those services. Spirit Super does not recommend or endorse the above services or receive any financial benefit if you choose to use these services. Should you choose to use any of the above services, you do so at your own risk based on your own enquiries and on the terms and conditions, including as to your privacy, on which those services are provided by Teladoc Health. Spirit Super respects your privacy and does not supply your personal details to Teladoc Health. Please contact Spirit Super on 1800 005 166 or write to GPO Box 1547, Hobart TAS 7001 if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions.
360Health Virtual Care is a service provided by Teladoc Health. Teladoc Health is a separate and independent entity to Spirit Super and MetLife, and neither Spirit Super nor MetLife will be responsible for the nature or quality of services provided by Teladoc Health. MetLife is the appointed Group insurer for Spirit Super. Access to these services will be at MetLife’s reasonable discretion and is for all eligible Spirit Super members who have received a specific code to activate the service. MetLife reserves the right to reasonably discontinue or change the services at any time.