Transferring (rolling in) your Self-managed Super Fund (SMSF) into Spirit Super

Running an SMSF is a serious commitment and can take more time, effort, and money than you’d like. If you’re sick of the hassle of managing an SMSF, you might consider rolling some or all of your funds over to us. You should consider getting professional advice before making a decision.

Want to take the hassle out of managing your super?

There are a lot of reasons people decide to move funds from their SMSF. For our members, it’s often:

  • the cost and time to operate an SMSF
  • the death of a trustee
  • wanting to simplify things as they approach retirement

Whatever your reason, we can assist you to roll in funds to a Spirit Super account.

To transfer your SMSF to Spirit Super, you can:

It’s a bit of a process, but don’t be put off! We’re here to help get you started.

Steps to roll in funds from your SMSF to Spirit Super

An ESA is a special internet address (different from an email address) that helps SuperStream transactions reach the right destination. SuperStream is a data and payment standard used for digital transactions in the super industry.

To confirm your SMSF is with a registered provider, please refer to the ATO’s register of SMSF messaging providers available at

If you use an SMSF administrator or use SMSF software from a provider, they may have issued you with an ESA as part of their service.

It’s important to be aware that not all SMSF messaging providers are equal as not all can facilitate a rollover. Spirit Super can accept rollovers from the following providers:

  • Click Super
  • BGL
  • SMSF Dataflow
  • SuperMate
  • Wrkr
  • Australia Post

If you’re requesting a rollover into or out of your SMSF, you must use SuperStream. You must ensure that your chosen ESA is active and provides rollover SuperStream services.

If the ESA isn’t active or you don’t have permission to use it, you won’t be able to roll money into or out of your SMSF.

If you’ve used an ESA in the past, you should check it’s still active.

If your SMSF doesn’t have an ABN, you can apply for one at

Ensure your SMSF details are up to date with the ATO, including your SMSF’s unique bank account for super payments.

You can check your SMSF’s details by:

  • using ATO online services or the Australian Business Register
  • contacting your SMSF’s registered tax agent
  • contacting the ATO

To update your SMSF’s details, use a registered tax agent or call the ATO on 13 10 20.

Ensure your SMSF has a ‘Complying’ or ‘Registered’ status on Super Fund Lookup at

Your SMSF will need to use the SMSFmemberTICK Service to validate your TFN.

The SMSFmemberTick Service allows SMSF trustees and their nominated intermediaries to match member details against ATO records using the member’s TFN and other key identity information.

You can only proceed with the rollover if you receive a ‘valid’ response.

You will receive a ‘not valid’ response if the ATO can’t match your details. You may need to contact the ATO to update your details. Once the details have been corrected, your SMSF can re-send the SMSFmemberTICK message.

  • If you’re transferring to another SMSF — use the SMSF verification service to verify the fund and member details.
  • If you’re transferring to an APRA-regulated fund, like Spirit Super, use the Fund Validation Service to verify your chosen fund. The Fund Validation Service is provided by the ATO.

Your transfer can only be processed if you have ‘liquid’ assets, such as cash.

You may need to sell down assets like shares or property within your SMSF before your transfer can be processed. Note that tax impacts may apply when you sell assets, so you should seek professional tax advice.

Contact your financial institution to confirm your transfer limit is sufficient to enable the rollover payment.


Want to roll into Spirit Super?

To transfer your SMSF to Spirit Super, you can:

What’s involved in winding up (or closing down) your SMSF?

If you are also choosing to wind up (close down) your SMSF, you need to do it properly, or you could face penalties.

When you wind up an SMSF, you need to liquidate the assets and then transfer the money into the trustee bank accounts, another SMSF fund, or to an APRA-regulated fund, like Spirit Super.

Closing down an SMSF is a complex activity with many tax and legal considerations. We strongly recommend you seek professional financial advice before closing down your SMSF.

Before making any changes, you should consider getting advice

Setting up and managing an SMSF isn’t for the faint-hearted, and exiting one is also a serious financial decision. There’s a lot to consider, including potential tax implications.

If you’re thinking about winding up your SMSF, the ATO has lots of helpful information.

You should also consider appointing professionals to provide financial and tax advice.

We are here to help

Winding up an SMSF can be daunting, but we are here to help! Call us on 1800 005 166.

This article is for general information only and doesn’t take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should assess your financial position, personal objectives and needs before making a decision on this information. Advice on Spirit Super is provided by Quadrant First Pty Ltd (ABN 78 102 167 877, AFSL 284443) and issuer is Motor Trades Association of Australia Superannuation Fund Pty Ltd (ABN 14 008 650 628, AFSL 238718), the trustee of Spirit Super (ABN 74 559 365 913). Consider the PDS and TMD at before making a decision. A copy of the Financial services guide for Spirit Super Advice is available at